Welcome to the
First Battle of Kinston Battlefield Park
The First Battle of Kinston was fought in the dark cold days
of December 1862. For the first time the realization of the horrors of war
came upon the people of Lenoir County. For some soldiers it was the first
time in battle and for some it was the last. Businesses and houses were
burned, homes were plundered, livestock
slaughtered and crops were destroyed. The winds of war swept over the
country side and the lives of the people were forever changed. Click here to read the Battle of Kinston Poem
Battle of Kinston
following sites are a part of the First Battle of Kinston Battlefield
would like to help with this project please contact
Information and Visitors Center
the tour begins at the Information and Visitors Center at the Highway 70
and Hwy 258 intersection Highway 70 where you may view a video that
relates the times of
the First Battle of Kinston that took place
in December 1862
For many of the soldiers it was the first time in
battle. The young men of aristocratic New England families and the
middle class families of the Mid-Atlantic States were fighting to
preserve the Union. They were horrified at the battle that took place on
a cold Sabbath morning against the southern boys who were defending
their land against what they believed was northern aggression. At the
visitors center you will also find displays of Civil War relics that
have been found on the battlefields in the area.
was at this location where Confederate troops were racing for the other
side of the Neuse River Bridge with Union soldier in hot pursuit. 600
Confederate soldiers did not make it and were captured by Union forces.
Located along Highway 258 South in the Woodington Community
This site has an easement held by the Civil War Trails Inc. It is
beautifully landscaped. As you stand and look at the Civil War Trails
marker you face in the direction of Southwest Creek where the Union
soldiers crossed and engaged in battle with the Confederate forces
stationed there. The marker gives an interpretation of what took place
in this area.
Located on the edge of Kinston along west side of Highway 258 South
This is approximating 100 acres of land that was flooded by Hurricane
Floyd and became part of the FEMA buyout program. Historical
Preservation Group holds a ten year renewal lease on this property
owned by Lenoir County.
The swamp separated the Union and Confederate
forces at the beginning of the battle.
Located on the edge of Kinston along east side of Highway 258 South
Trails Bugle sign. Pull into parking area near the Civil War Trails
Enjoy the walking trail on this
two acre site that was once where fighting took place around a small
church called Harrietís Chapel. This site is the middle of the
battlefield and the location of where the fiercest fighting took
place. Here you will find a Civil War Trails marker that will
interpret the site.
This area is the location site of Starr's Battery and the little
church known as Harriet's Chapel. The
church was riddled with shelling from musket and canon fire. It was
destroyed by the battle.
Located one block off of Highway 70 East at the corner of Meadowbrook and Harriet Drives.
Wil King was a dedicated and committed member of the Lenoir County
Battlefields Commission. Wil King shared our vision for historic
preservation and played an integral part in the efforts of the
battlefield commission. To commemorate his work and honor his memory,
the first sited to be developed on the Kinston battlefield has been
named for him. One section of the site has been developed. It is
beautifully landscaped. There is a brick wall with the name of the
battle and date of battle inscribed on the front. Behind the wall is a
fifty foot circular brick plaza. At one end of the plaza is a granite
memorial monument for Wil King. At the other end of the plaza are
three flag poles. The center pole flies the American flag. The other
flag poles fly the period flags for the Union and the Confederacy. A
spotlight brightens the plaza and flag poles. The flags fly 24 hours a
day. There are two markers, each placed at the walkways entering the
plaza. One is a Civil War Trails marker interpreting what took place
on the site during the battle. The other marker is a copy of a
resolution written by the Lenoir County Battlefields Commission
expressing their gratitude for Wilís work. Beyond the plaza is a berm
that circles around the site. There is a walking path atop of the berm.
At interval along side of the berm are State markers for each state
that fought in the battle. On theses markers are listed all the
regiments from a given state. A state flag representing the given state
is affix to the marker. The state flags fly on special occasions.
Dwarf Magnolia trees line along the edge of the site near Meadowbrook
Drive and Harriet Drive
This area is where the
union forces first broke through the Confederate lines.
To be developed
Located on the property of a motel near the
Queen Street Bridge on 70 Business going into Kinston.
This site has an easement held by Civil War Trails, Inc. The site has
a Civil War Trails marker given the interpretation of the site. This
is where the burning of the bridge took place during the battle and
the capture of many Confederate soldiers.
DONATIONS ARE WELCOMED -Mail to 1603 West Road Kinston, NC
CLICK HERE TO LEARN ABOUT THE BATTLE OF KINSTON