Hall of Heroes
Kinston Civil War
Coastal Plain and Fancy
The rich soil of Lenoir County, in the center of the Coastal Plain of North Carolina,
has nurtured a legacy of historic architecture since the eighteenth century.
Memories of a way of life now gone, whether on a farm or in a small town, surrounded by kinfolk
and by tradition, will be triggered by the comprehensive collection of family farms and plantations, churches, schools, country stores, grist mills and other buildings
presented in this architectural survey.
Rare photographs from family albums and archival collections present many landmarks in their heyday in the late 1800's and early 1900's. The cataloge entries include the tapestry of historic
rural architecture spread across the twelve townships of Lenoir County.
Shown below are a couple of entries included in the book
Jerry Sutton House, Bucklesbury vicinity, circa 1860
Jeremiah (Jerry) Sutton (1834-1900),
in the Buckleberry vicinity, had a frame house with piazza built for his family about 1860. The Sutton House
was plainly and sturdily constructed, with gable-end brick chimneys and a large piazza with plain posts and railing.
The transom and sidelights around the double front door brought a bit of style to the otherwise vernacular dwelling.
An 1889 family photograph shows Jerry, his wife, two sons, two daughters, and the family dog standing on both sides of the picket
fence. A luxuriant flower garden blooms inside the fence. Sutton married three times and this wife is believed to be Sarah Croom Sutton.
In 1860 the family owned seven slaves; a small building at the far right is said to have been a slave quarters. Two black girls one named Rose and one whose name is unknown stand in front
of this structure.
Christopher and Nancy Turner log house, Woodington Township. circa 1850
Christopher and Nancy Turner's log house stood in Woodington township until the
1990's. The couple probably built the log house about 1850, when Christopher Turner, a teacher,
married Nancy Stroud. In 1860 their farm was valued at $500.00. Built of round logs set on lightwood blocks,
the house had a mud and stick chimney at each end.
The gabled roof sheltered each chimney to protect the mud from the weather. The kitchen occupied a separate
building. By 1870 Christopher and Nancy were raising eight children between the ages of one and seventeen in the small house.
Christopher must have spent most of his time teaching, because only 12 of his 162 acres were cleared. The farm produced
small amounts of Irish potatoes and sweet potatoes, butter an milk from two cows, and meat from a heard of
This is just a preview of the information that is available in the Coastal
Plain and Fancy Book.